What is biblical submission? Well, it’s quite different than most people expect it to be.
Biblical submission does not mean:
- A wife was made to be her husband’s doormat,
- A wife should blindly do whatever her husband tells her,
- A wife is less valued by God.
Biblical Submission does mean:
- A wife will submit (that means, willingly lower herself) to her husband,
- A wife will consider her husband and his needs more important than hers (Philippians 2:3),
- A wife will lovingly and cheerfully do good to her husband, not harm, all the days of her life (Proverbs 31:12),
- A wife willingly and lovingly supports her husband in his endeavors for no other reason than to honor God and bless her husband – she is looking for no self-gain or praise from this – she requires no “pay-backs” for all the good she does to her husband,
- A wife is blessed by God with wisdom, strength and kindness (Proverbs 31:26).
To get a full view of what a biblically submissive woman looks like, read Proverbs 31:11-31.
I invite you to travel with me as I closely examine the Proverbs 31 woman, verse by verse. Not because I have attained to be such a woman myself, but only so I too can savor each verse and meditate on it. I don’t want anyone to miss out on a single drop of this succulent feast (on God’s Word) as we aspire to become wives that are most pleasing to the Lord our God.
The introduction to this intense study will begin with going back to the Garden of Eden to see how God made woman and what her original design was intended for.
Hint: it wasn’t to lead the man to sin against God.We will go back to God’s original design, what He used to make the first woman (Adam’s rib) and for what purpose she was made. Then I will briefly cover how God’s original design and intent for creating woman has been distorted by the worldview of woman that has slowly crept into our churches, defiling marriages by feminizing men and preying on the “knowledge” and the supposed spiritual superiority of women.
Why is biblical submission so important?
Because a family without it will either miserably continue prolonging agony or completely fall apart. Regardless of which occurs, one thing most certainly will occur: a wife who is not practicing biblical submission will become the source of one of the most horrid things – causing the word of God to be reviled (Titus 2:3-5).